The Parkville precinct will see numerous roadside worksites in the next few months as work ramps up to relocate underground services before digging for the tunnel and station under Grattan street starts.
Multiple sites around Parkville will be impacted, including bike infrastructure.
VicRoads is working with Metro Tunnel to provide diversions to improve road capacity and resilience while the tunnel is built.
Initiatives at Royal Parade, Park Drive, Leicester Street, Elgin Street, Victoria Street, Elizabeth Street, Grattan Street and Pelham Street include:
- Modifications to roundabouts
- Alterations to signal timings
- Installation of five new bus stops to accommodate bus diversions while Grattan Street is closed
- Removal of car parking to improve traffic flow
Modifications at Royal Parade, Flemington Road, College Crescent, Victoria Street, Princes Street, Nicholson Street, Peel Street will include:
- Bike lane configuration
- Turning bans
- Line marking
- Clearway restriction changes
- Signal changes
- Tree removals, if required
- Residential parking relocation
- Other parking removal.
Exact details will be provided closer to the start of activities at each site.