Lane Cove Council has released plans to add a new bike path along the Pacific Hwy through the lower north shore, as part of a wider plan to make the region more appealing to bike riders of all ages and abilities.
The Pacific Hwy is one of a list of nine roads the council would like to update, including a mix of separated cycleways, mixed traffic paths and off-road shared routes between St Leonards and Chatswood.
The $2.9 million proposal also includes bike paths along River Rd with connections to Greenwich Wharf, Longueville Wharf and the Lane Cove town centre on the western side of the Pacific Hwy.
The updates would connect vital missing links in the region's cycling network while addressing key concerns about connectivity and safety.
These plan comes after a survey by the council of more than 700 residents concluded that more than half of the respondents did not feel comfortable riding a bike in the region.
One quarter of these identifying safety as the primary factor preventing them from riding a bike, and 34 per cent listing distance.
It is hoped that these new bike lanes will help to address the lack of coherence in the regions cycling network and encourage less experienced riders to get back on the bike.
Regular rider Carolyn New told The Daily Telegraph “having the path off the highway is critical and it would encourage cyclists who would otherwise look at the highway and say ‘there’s no way I’m going down that."
Adding "at the moment it's not a place where most people want to go mainly because of safety."
The five year plan includes short and long options with a proposal due to open for community feedback later this year.
Full list of proposed routes:
- Pacific Highway – between Mowbray Rd and Oxley St
- Longueville Rd, Kenneth St and Stuart St – between Epping Rd and Longueville Wharf
- Birdwood Ave, Coxs Lane, Burns Bay Rd – between Longueville Rd and Centennial Ave
- Centennial Ave and Burns Bay Rd – between Epping Rd and Burns Bay Rd Bridge
- Penrose St, Bridge St and River Rd – between Burns Bay Rd and Oxley St
- Greenwich Rd – between Pacific Highway and Greenwich Point Wharf
- Northwood Rd – between River Rd and Northwood Wharf
- Tambourine Bay Rd – between Burns Bay Rd and Tambourine Bay Park
- Lane Cove Business Park – between Mars Rd and Epping Rd
In the meantime, learn more about cycling in Lane Cove by visiting the council website.
Image source: The Daily Telegraph