Work is starting on a new crossing of Scotchmer Street in Fitzroy North that will give people riding the Linear Park Trail priority over cars on the street.
This seemingly minor project has significance as the State Government's upgrades to the Preston to CBD route continue to roll out.
The proper prioritisation of this crossing has been a Bicycle Network objective for more than a decade.
Work on the crossing is being undertaken jointly by the Department of Transport and the City of Yarra and should be completed by Friday 7 February.
The trail through this precinct runs along the former branch line to Fitzroy from the old Inner Circle rail line opened in 1888. It travels through Edinburgh Gardens and connects to the popular Napier Street route into the city.
Scotchmer Street project works include:
- Construction of road humps on the approaches
- Installation of Give Way signs and linemarking
- Extension of the existing garden bed on the northwest side
- Installation of yellow coloured surface treatment
- Associated road pavement reinstatement works
Working hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
A site appropriate traffic management plan will be in place and continually managed to ensure safe and continual flow of people on bikes.