We're offering a variety of social rides this fortnight. The Ranelagh and Orford rides offer some out-of-town adventure, there are a couple of Fern Tree challenges and the monthly northwest ride will head to the edge of its turf at Port Sorell.
Ranelagh River Ride – Saturday 25 November
This scenic 27km ride on Saturday 25 November travels beside the picturesque Huon River. It will mostly be on bitumen roads, but expect a section of gravel road at the start.
Meet ride leader Jack at 9.45am at the Ranelagh Village Green on the corner of Agnes and Louisa streets.
The ride goes from Ranelagh to Judbury, crosses the Huon River using Judbury bridge and heads back to Ranelagh passing through Glen Huon and Huonville. The ride will finish at the Summer Kitchen Bakery for great coffee, pastries and snacks. All bikes and all riders welcome.
RSVP in case of cancellation via https://ridewithgps.com/events/288689-late-notice-ranelagh-river-ride-from-vil
Squeaking Wheels – Sunday 26 November
The northwest riders are heading out of Port Sorell on Sunday 26 November with a 35km loop that won't have many steep hills.
Meet ride leader Prue at 10.45am at the car park on the corner of Club Drive and Fairway Crescent, then head out on mostly quieter roads. A shorter loop that includes a visit to Squeaking Point jetty is also possible.
BYO lunch to eat afterwards at Prue and John's place. RSVP in case of cancellation via https://ridewithgps.com/events/288638-squeaking-wheels
Hobart Coffee Chat & Cycles – Friday 1 December
Coffee Chat and Cycles is an informal gathering of Bicycle Network members on the first Friday of the month at Jampacked in Hunter Street, between 11.30am and 12.30pm.
No need to RSVP, come for a coffee or lunch, or just a chat with other bike riders. Outside if the weather is fine, and inside if not.
Cornelian Bay to Kingston Fruit Loop – Saturday 2 December
The 50km Cornelian Bay to Kingston Fruit Loop on Saturday 2 December is one of our longer and steeper social rides but there’s no rush to get to the end.
Meet ride leader Brian at 9.45am at the Cornelian Bay car park for the loop up over Fern Tree and down into Kingston on local roads, bike lanes and paths where available.
There will be an hour-long stop at Kingston for lunch. Note that sections of Summerleas Road are unsealed and unsuitable for some bike tyres.
Please RSVP in case of cancellation via https://ridewithgps.com/events/235027-cornelian-bay-to-kingston-fruit-loop
Christmas lunch in Fern Tree – Saturday 9 December
Another Fern Tree ride on Saturday 9 December with the 31km Christmas lunch ride to the Fern Tree Tavern.
Meet ride leader Brian at 9.45am at the Cornelian Bay car park to head up the Rivulet Path and Strickland Avenue to the pub, returning via Ridgeway and a short section of busy Huon Road and Macquarie Street before hitting the paths back to Cornelian Bay.
RSVP for lunch (maximum of 12) via https://ridewithgps.com/events/234418-christmas-lunch-in-fern-tree-max-12
Orford Thumbs Lookout Loop – Sunday 10 December
The 30km Orford Thumbs Lookout Loop on Sunday 10 December is a great mix of forest and sea.
Meet ride leader David at 10.15am outside the front of Wattelebanks Coastal Café just before the Prosser River bridge.
Most of this ride is on the unsealed Wielangta Road so it’s not suitable for some bike tyres. Bring morning tea for a break at Rheban Beach. There'll be a cafe stop in Orford for a late lunch after the ride.
RSVP via https://ridewithgps.com/events/230843-orford-thumbs-lookout-loop
- 29 November: Westbury Hoggs Lane Cluan, meet at 9.15am at the sports ground in Franklin Street, Westbury. 40km, 20–25 km/h pace.
- 30 November: Trails Around Launceston, meet at 5.45pm at the Park Street entrance of Royal Park, 10–15km, slow pace.
- 6 December: Cressy to Bishopsbourne, meet at 9.15am at the Big Fish on Main Road, 41km, 20–25 km/h pace.
Upcoming rides & events
- Kangaroo Bay to Tranmere return – Friday 15 December
- Flight of the Folders– Saturday 23 December
- Brighton to Pelham Christmas Challenge – Wednesday 27 December
- Burnie Fernglade – Sunday 31 December
- Northern Suburbs/Eastern Shore Loop– Saturday 6 January
- Oatlands Parattah and Stonor Circuit– Friday 26 January
If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled. You don't have to be super fit or into competitive riding, our rides are a mixed bag depending on the interests of our ride leaders. They offer everything from short 1-2 hour rides, with stops along the way to day-long excursions.
Our social rides leaders follow a set of protocols to help make our rides safer:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 metre to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose or are in mandated isolation.